Creole Pork Chops & Cornbread Casserole
- 4 tablespoons shortening, Butter Flavor Crisco, divided
- 8 pork chops, 1/2 inch thick
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup bell pepper, green, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups cornbread, crumbled
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1(14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, whole, drained, cut up
- 1(8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Melt 2 T Butter Flavor Crisco in large skillet on medium heat. Add 4 chops. Brown both sides. Repeat with remaining chops. Remove from skillet. Set aside. Add remaining 2 T Butter Flavor Crisco, onion, celery, green pepper and garlic to skillet. Cook and stir until tender. Remove from heat.
- Combine cornbread, egg and half of onion mixture in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, brown sugar, chili powder, salt, pepper, cayenne and bay leaf to remaining mixture in skillet. Simmer about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Remove bay leaf.
- Place 4 pork chops in 3 qt casserole. Spread cornbread mixture over chops. Arrange remaining chops on top. Pour sauce over chops. Cover.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes, or until chops are tender.