Sweet & Smokey Steak Sandwich
- 1 ½ lbs. top sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 yellow inions, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup scallions, sliced, green only
- 1 can (7oz) chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce
- 1 ½ cup shredded smoked Gouda
- 1 loaf Texas toast, sliced
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter, brown sugar, and onions, tossing to coat. Sprinkle onions with salt and caramelized only stirring occasionally for 15 – 20 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, combine smoked Gouda, scallions, ½ cup of Adobo sauce, one diced chipotle pepper, and caramelized onions. Set aside.
- Heat skillet again on high heat. Add sliced steak and salt and pepper to taste. Sauté steak, frequently. About 2 minutes per side. stirring
- Spread the remaining 1 tbsp of butter evenly onto one side of the 12 slices of bread.
- Heat pan to medium heat. Spread an even layer of cheese mixture on bread, top with sliced steak, and add another layer of cheese mixture. Close sandwich with another slice of bread. Toast on each side until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted. Slice in half and serve.