Tex-Mex Shepherd's Pie
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 ½ cups chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 cups Pico de Gallo, drained
- ½ cup of ketchup
- 2 tablespoons chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 (8-ox.) block pepper Jack Cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
- 4 cups r4efrigated mashed potatoes
- ½ cup salsa Verde
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions
- Preheat oven to 450°F. heat oil in a 12-inch cast- iron skillet over medium-high. Add sirloin, and cook, stirring often to break up meat with a wooden spoon, until meat is no longer pink, about 8 minutes
- Add onions and garlic, and cook, stirring often, until softened and aromatic, about 3 minutes. Drain beef mixture. Stir in corn, black beans, salt, and cumin; cook, stirring often, 2 minutes’ Stir in Pico de Gallo, ketchup, and chopped chipotle chiles. Top mixture with grated cheese, and remove from heat.
- Stir together mashed potatoes and salsa Verde in medium microwavable bowl. Microwave on HIGH until hot, about 3 minutes. Spread potatoes mixture in an even layer over cheese in skillet, covering entire surface. Spray lightly with cooking spray, and place skillet, on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until potatoes are lightly browned on top, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with cilantro and scallion, and serve hot.