Texas Beef King Ranch Casserole
- 2 lbs. sirloin
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2-4 tbsp jalapeno, chopped
- 1tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chilis
- 1 can low-sodium beef broth
- 2/3 cup low-fat 1% milk
- 8 oz. fat-free cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook beef over LOW heat covered with water until fork tender, 30-45 minutes. (Longer cooking makes the steak easier to shred).
- Place cooked beef on a hard surface and shred by pulling apart with two forks. Set aside.
- Prepare a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Sauté onion and peppers with dry ingredients until translucent. Add diced tomatoes and green chilis, beef broth and milk. Simmer.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Add cooked shredded beef.
- Quarter tortillas and add to mixture. Pour into casserole dish prepared with non-stick spray.
- Bake for 30 minutes.