- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2-pound beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 4 to 6 pieces
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 3 table spoons lime juice
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, or more to taste
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 1 serrano chili pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 2 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- Heat oil in a large skillet over low heat, gradually increasing heat to medium-high. Add beef chuck pieces; cook until browned, about 10 seconds per side. Transfer beef to a slow cooker. Combine apple cider, chipotle peppers, line juice, garlic, cumin, serrano pepper, cayenne pepper, oregano, black pepper, garlic powder, salt, and ground cloves in a blender or food processor; blend until smooth. Pour over beef in the slow cooker.
- Stir chicken broth, onion, and bay leaves into the slow cooker.
- Cook on low until beef is fork-tdner,6 to 8 hours. Sherd beef using 2 forks.