Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb. breakfast sausage
- 12 oz. frozen peppers and onions
- 10 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 lb. tortilla chips
- 8 oz. cheddar, shredded
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. If your frozen peppers are in strips, chop them into small pieces.
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Once browned, add the frozen peppers and onions and continue to cook over medium heat until heated through. Remove the sausage and peppers from the heat and set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, and pepper.
- Use the butter to grease the inside of a 3-quart casserole dish. Place the tortilla chips in the bottom of the casserole dish and press them down, slightly crushing them until they lay fairly flat.
- use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage and peppers to the casserole dish on top of the tortilla chips, leaving any liquid behind in the pan.
- Add ¾ of the shredded cheddar on top of the sausage and peppers. Stir slightly to combine the tortilla chips, sausage and peppers, and cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture over the ingredients in the casserole dish, then top with the remaining shredded cheddar. The ingredients will not be fully submerged in the egg mixture and that is okay. The eggs will puff slightly as they bake.
- Bake the breakfast casserole for about 40 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 160ºF and the outer edges are lightly browned.
- Let the casserole cool for about five minutes, then slice into six or eight pieces and serve.