Slow Cooker Steak Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs. sirloin steak, cut into cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 28 ounce can dice tomatoes, undrained
- 1 28 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 4 ounce can green chilies
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 cloves garlic
- Pinch sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Sour cream, cheese, and Fritos, for serving
- Preheat the slow cooker on high heat while you prepare the remainder of the ingredients.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season the sirloin with salt and pepper, then add it to the oil and allow to brown, undisturbed, for several minutes. Flip and brown on the remaining sides. Transfer the steak to the slow cooker and return the skillet to the burner over low heat. Use the juice from one of your cans of diced tomatoes or a small amount (1/4 cup) of water to deglaze the pan. Pour the liquid into the hot pan and use a spatula to scrape any brown bits. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients (besides those used for serving) to the slow cooker and stir. Cook on low for 8 hours (preferred method) or on high for 4 hours.
- Serve with sour cream, cheese, Fritos and/or cornbread.